This small locality is set at the junction of the two valleys where the Môle and Verne rivers meet. It was already inhabited in Roman times and
a number of remains of brick tombs and buildings dating back to that era can still be seen. When the Romans were chased from the site,
a village was built on Sainte Magdeleine hill. A charter, dated 1008, indicates the name "Ad Molam", meaning "hand mill" (mola manuaria),
originating from the presence of a hand mill workshop on the site.
The names "Castrum de Mola" and "Mola" appear in 1079 - at the time, the village was the property of "Saint-Victor de Marseille" abbey.
In 1308, 48 fires had already been recorded in the vicinity of the village, but the wars of succession of the Queen Jeanne
were to completely destroy the dwellings.
The village was subsequently rebuilt in the plain. In the 17th century, the village was governed by the Suffren family. In 1728, just seven families lived on the site. In 1851, the village was home to 404 inhabitants. Today, more than 800 people live in La Mole.
the Castel of la Mole
Mairie de la Mole © 2004
Hôtel de Ville F-83310 La Mole - tel. +33 4 94 40 05 80 - fax. +33 4 94 49 55 24